Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Dig Bill Evans

I have hundreds of songs on my iPod, but I often return to those involving the jazz pianist Bill Evans as composer, soloist or sideman. If you're not familiar with him, click on the title

Bill Evans is one of the most important American artists of the twentieth century. His work with Miles Davis, John Coltrane and others, and especially with his own trios, is as fresh and lyrical today as it was five decades ago.


Listen to the interplay between Bill, bassist Scott LaFaro, and drummer Paul Motian on the Bill Evans Trio's late 1950s and early 1960s recordings like "Moon Beams," and the live 1961 Village Vanguard sessions. Even though I've listened to his music for a long time, I still discover gorgeous facets to his solos that I'd somehow missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment